Car insurance can be a difficult road to navigate. There are so many companies, plans, options, prices and much more to consider. These 10 steps listed below should help steer you in the right direction to finding the ideal plan.
1. Know Your State’s Minimum Requirements: Car insurance differs among every state. Research what is required for your state to use as a cushion. Once you know what should be covered, it’s up to you to decide how much additional coverage you want, and if it’s worth paying for. Don’t forget to take into account your own driving habits and any other risks you frequently encounter.
2. Consider Your Finances: If you are already covered under a plan, look through payments you’ve made in the past. This will enable you to see where you already stand on both a monthly and yearly payment. It gives you a quote that you may want to beat.
3. Check Your Records: Not everyone is the best driver and that’s okay, it’s important to recognize your flaws! If you have any records or points on your license, it’s best to clear that before finding a policy. Insurance will increase if they see you are a risky driver.
4. Find Options: Take the time to sit down and find quotes from multiple companies. If you go to an online site to get a quote for an insurance rate, you can type in your information and begin to build a list of companies for comparative quotes. When you use these sites, you might not get instant quotes. Some companies may contact you later. It can take up to 15 minutes her quote, but it can save you up to $800, if not more!
5. Company Information: While researching, make sure you take notes about each company you’re looking into. The most important factor to understand is their payment policy. When are payments due? Are there payment plans? What happens if a payment is late?
6. Make Calls: Once you have a defined list of potential quotes and companies, begin calling around. Speaking directly to a representative shows your interest, can be quicker, and there is potential they will offer you a lower rate.
7. Discounts are Key: Get rewarded for good driving. Insurance companies give them for such things as a good driving record, your car’s safety or security equipment, and certain occupations or professional affiliations. You may even get a better deal if you switch your home insurance over as well.
8. Assess Each Company: Now that you know prices and have compared companies, it’s time to see which is actually best for you. Just because one insurance is the cheapest, doesn’t mean it’s your best option. Look into each company using the National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ Consumer Information Source. You can access information about insurance companies, including closed insurance complaints, licensing information and key financial data.
9. Review Your Policy: Now that you’ve decided which company and policy is most suiting, it’s important to re-read. Look into the fine print, verify it’s what you’re actually looking for, and that nothing is hidden amongst all the text.
10. Cancel Your Old Policy: If you are switching from an old policy, now is the time to cancel that plan and switch to your new one. Make sure you keep your new proof of coverage easily accessible in your car.
Finding the right car insurance can mean taking a lot of new routes and sometimes hitting a dead end. However, it’s important to not only protect yourself, but the others on the road around you. Want to take it a step further? Get rewarded with the OnMyWay app every time you drive!
Join the millions of others in the mission to put an end to distracted driving. Download the OnMyWay app from the App Store or Google Play today.